Friday, June 11, 2010

Retro Flashback Dancey Groovy Day



A simple pleasure in life: rediscovering a favorite album and playing it loudly enough that you can't help but be moved by the music. Today's pick: Achtung Baby by U2. This was one of my favorite albums as a kid, and I don't think I've listened to it from beginning to end for years.

This brought to mind a contest I heard on the radio a few years ago which really made me think hard about my music library. The contest asked, "If you were stranded on a desert island, which 3 albums would you take with you?" The lack of stereo, much less power notwithstanding, I knew 2 of my 3 immediately:
1) The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails
2) Version 2.0 by Garbage

#3 eluded me. I considered many - The Soundtrack for "The Crow," U2's "Achtung Baby," Lamb's self-titled album among many others.

What about you? What would you take? I'd be very interested to know.

4 comments:

  1. I'm told people haven't been able to comment. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough one...Being a teenager, my favorite albums trip over each other trying to keep up there on my list...So whenever I'm asked a question such as the one you're posing, I always have to say "Currently:..."
    So.
    Currently:
    Plastic Beach by Gorillaz
    Kaleidoscope by Tiƫsto
    Go by Jonsi (yes, I realize the 'o' is fancy, but we Americans don't have an alt-code for that)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can comment now -

    1) A Data Learn the Language - Mercury Program
    2) In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
    3) & Yet & Yet - Do Make Say Think

    Nope, no explanations supplied or necessary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this peek into your thoughts, and feel much the same about how the soundtracks and your life interact, especially when I'm working on performance pieces, too. I look forward to seeing the improv group this Thursday. Keep blogging. It's nice!

    ReplyDelete