Friday, June 11, 2010

Getting it out


Hello, interwebs!

It has come to my attention that I bottle a lot of things up. I store them, I don't really allow them to breathe. I tried to keep a journal for a while, and while that was therapeutic, I just couldn't keep sitting down and frequently write by hand. However, one of the most significant concepts I think I've ever heard was from renowned stage designer Desmond Heeley, who said that in an age of rapidly evolving technology, there's still nothing like getting a hand-written letter. That means that someone took the time to commit their words to paper all for one person. One person that the sender felt deserved the time taken to actually physically write everything by hand. Of course, it could be argued that a journal is something of a letter to oneself, so maybe that's saying something about me. Maybe not.

In any case, I found comfort in the concept of a journal as opposed to a blog, whereas a journal is private to the writer and the writer ALONE. A blog is accessible to the entire world. And, while I don't necessarily think that there's anything in my journal that could hurt anyone, I still just can't seem to commit the time needed to write what I need to write. For example, in the time it's taken me to type everything up to this point, I may have handwritten up to "Desmond Heeley." It's easy to see how one could lose interest.

So, the blog of retrosweater is started. Who knows what will come of this ... Overall, I just felt a need to be able to spout off and be heard to get some of the Hammerin' in my head out (Always been a Garbage fan). This will probably give me cause to free associate and rant a lot more often. Thanks for indulging me, interwebs.

-Retrosweater

1 comment:

  1. I commend you. I started a blog like...3 years ago, and the last post I created was in November of 2009.

    ReplyDelete